Sunday, September 10

Race update... running on empty

The race was packed, the weather was sunny and it all looked set for a great run. Apart from the fact we couldn’t find a car space, had to rush to the 2 miles from the car.

Well I managed to finish it but I am a bit disappointed with my time L The first 6 miles went well with 8 to 9 minute splits :-) but I thought that I’d take some energy gel just after the 6 mile mark to help me through… BIG MISTAKE.

I’ve never tried it before, took a mouthful and swallowed it, then about 2 minutes later my stomach decided that it didn’t like it’s new carbo resident and ejected it. I have never been sick mid run before, not pleasant and to be truthful I struggled the rest of the race with stomach ache it all ended after 2hours 20 minutes (I must admit there was a point when I thought about throwing myself onto the floor at the side off the road and waiting for the St Johns ambulance men to take me to the finish line).

The course took a new route which made a nice change taking in some new scenery, The whole event was really well organised by sweatshop and the crowds were ace. Once through the finishing line I got my medal and goody bag (no malt loaf though) and headed back to the car. I can’t wait for next year…

PS if you are ever in a rush always look for your decent running socks, my feet are blistered up because I didn’t :-)

5 Comments:

Blogger jogblog said...

Well done, you did great!!

I'm disappointed I won't be getting a free malt loaf though :-)

3:53 PM  
Blogger [rich] said...

You can have the free Energy Gel they gave me in the bag if you want :-P I'm never having one again...EVIL SQUID JUICE!

3:59 PM  
Blogger jogblog said...

Think I'll pass on the evil squid juice but thanks for the offer :-)

Are you feeling better now?

4:04 PM  
Blogger [rich] said...

All good apart from the blisters :-)

4:42 PM  
Blogger edinburghrunner said...

Well done for carrying on! It sounds like it was painfull!

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home