Tuesday, February 13

Treadmill Update

The running machine is working out great. I like the fact that it is so low impact on your legs and feet. The one I went for is a NordicTrack 4200R REFLEX that has a bendy flexible running platform that springs you in to your next step.

The upside to running indoors:
  • It’s warm and not windy or wet.
  • You don’t have to worry about being mugged.
  • Running on the mill has made me pick my pace up both indoor and out on the road, because she is an unrelenting mistress pushing me to run faster every run.

The downside of running indoors:
  • It is boring compared to running outside.
  • You sweat lots and man do I sweat! I can’t believe how much jogger juice pours out of my body when I’m running indoor – MINGING! I suppose I must sweat the same amount running road but haven’t noticed it.

The small person always comes in about 30-40minutes in to a run armed with her little wooden chair and sits down to talk to me. This is cute/very nice but the conversation is never a yes or no one – I always seem to struggle grunting words out.

One thing I have learnt though, don’t turn your head to talk to people whilst running fast as you lose all ability to run central on the belt and fall off.

With the extra ability to pop on for a run anytime of day I’m aiming to push my average weekly total up to around 30-36 miles (it’s about 25+) at the moment… I will see what my ankle thinks about it and go from there.

All that said – I didn’t run indoors today I did a cold 4 miler at lunchtime, on my own as Preston is struggling with a cold.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger jogblog said...

"Jogger juice" - that is ick! Not a phrase I'm going to be stealing :-)

4:47 PM  
Blogger [rich] said...

That's now "JoggerJuice®"

4:55 PM  
Blogger Johnny Twelve Pack said...

Great to see you're getting the most out of your treadmill! Must be ultra convenient.

Pete's told me he's not running at the gym any more because it makes his knees hurt... please can you suggest anything? I've suggested either a) better pair of trainers with cushion in them e.g. Nike Air ones or b) ankle supports.

Cheers! :-)

6:40 PM  
Blogger [rich] said...

Yeah it's great :-)

If Pete's knees hurt I bet he is running in just trainers that he either already had or got a shop like "Sport fashion world" - when I started running I had mega knee and foot pain, all because I ran in my gym trainers. If he really wants to run he needs to get down a decent running shop and get his feet checked out and fitted with some running trainers. I use Sweatshop they are a really good outfit... but I bet there's bound to be a running shop up your way. Have a look on the runnersworld website. :-) hope it helps.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Johnny Twelve Pack said...

Excellent! Thanks mate I knew you'd provide some proper runnery jiggery info. I'll pass that on to Pete!

Cheers again. :-)

12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home